SC - Selene gets the bird....

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 18 13:20:19 PDT 2000

======================================================>===============
>     Congratulations!!!!!!  *applauds, then tosses a fish*  <gd&r>
>
>     Now for us unenlightened ones, whassat??????
>
>           Ari

tosses a fish, now that's funny!

I woke up last Saturday morning with an inner voice whinging about how much
more fun it would be to go to Caid Crown rather than opening the boxes from
the garage and arranging the contents in the outside shed (we've recently
moved.)  I gave into the whining for the chance to meet Selene and some
other Caid cooks and I'm so glad I did because being there when she received
her Pelican was really cool!

To enlighten you, Ari,

There are three Peerage Orders that may be bestowed to recognize abilities
and skills: Pelican, Laurel and Knighthood. Being a Peer gives one the right
to use a title other than Lord or Lady (which comes with an Award of Arms*)
Knights are usually Sir (regardless of whether they'd be a ma'am in modern
life, though there are Dames as well) The other orders use Master/Mistress,
or some equivalent phrase in the language appropriate to their Persona.   IN
addition to that little perk, one has the responsibility to continue their
efforts as a recognized leader.

The Order of the Pelican recognizes those who have given greatly of
themselves in service to the society.  There are awards given on a smaller
scale, within one's shire/barony and kingdom, but being inducted into the
Order of the Pelican indicates service well above and beyond the norm.
Comparatively, a Knighthood is given by the Society to recognize top-level
Fighting Skills and Chivalry, and the Laurel recognizes high level skills
and knowledge in a craft or science.  All three Orders indicate that the
member teaches and leads and otherwise brings the Society forward by
assisting individuals.

* An Award of Arms is a basic level award that should be attained relatively
early in one's SCA career, if one is actively working and playing. Having an
AoA means you would be Lord or Lady Ari (sorry, I don't know if you are male
or female.)

Lady Bonne