SC - Selene gets the bird....

Joan Nicholson gryphon at carlsbadnm.com
Mon Sep 18 13:28:37 PDT 2000

Thanks, Brighid, for posting your translation of the Almodrote recipe.  I
just have one question: the word in the source text, if I recall correctly,
is "manteca", which usually translates as "lard".  "Butter" would be
"mantequilla" or "little lard".  It was my understanding that the use of
butter was not widespread in Spain or Southern Italy in period; also, since
De Nola recommends using lard for everything unless specifically forbidden,
it mightmake sense to translate "manteca" as lard.

Of course, it is entirely possible that I'm wrong here.  And butter in a
sauce does sound more appetizing than lard. (Yecch!  I can hear my aorta
clanging shut!)

Vicente