Non-member submission - Re: SC - Feast entertainment

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 18 14:49:15 PDT 2000

snipped considerably for the sake of brevity :-)

> Several of you have chimed in, talking about Real BBQ,

actually, we're not missing the point, the conversation has simply been
taken out of context, the subject as it originated was Real (tm) *Southern*
BBQ.  ;-)

There are many types of BBQ, and you are correct about the cooking of the
meat (although there *are* actually different techniques of doing Southern
BBQ as well, but both of them fall within your definition and are *not*
"grilling".)

> The type of meats used, and the sauces used with them are strictly
regional
> differences...

Exactly!  Which is where this particular conversation started ;-)   Except
that I was pointing out that "Southerners" often think that there is one
regional "Southern" style to do BBQ when my experience is that there are
several sub-regional (assuming that the "South" is a region and the states
and various cultures within the "South" are "sub-regions") variations of
"Southern BBQ".  The whole topic came up by means of illustrating that
people don't recognize that the "South" doesn't do *anything* the same as
people seem to often thing :-)

> With Real BBQ, the meat is kept sealed and cooked in its own juices,
> possibly including a sauce, but the honey/sugar based sauces are not
usually
> cooked with BBQ because it's so easy for them to burn-

actually, there is one technique that I've found that does this and does it
well.  The meat is actually basted in a thinned out marinade including the
sweet sauce and then is baked/steamed covered or sealed in some way before
it is actually put on the grill for the final stage of the BBQ, then more
of the sweet sauce is added in slow stages as the meat finishes cooking.
When done that way, the sweet taste permeates the meat and the sauce
becomes very gooey and delectable (almost carmalized) but does not burn.

> to get just the right
> temperature that the meat will cook without burning a sugary sauce is a
> trick in its own right.

absolutely!

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier