SC - Polish

Kay Loidolt mmkl at indy.net
Mon Sep 18 14:57:13 PDT 2000

of homemade mayo, I said:

 > I've only tried homemade once... it failed to emulsify so I gave up ;-)

and Adamantus replied:
> Ah, a common enough problem until you get the hang of it. In cooking
> schools they pretty well chain you to your whip and don't let you leave
> until you get it right, thereby causing a wide spectrum of psychological
> traumas. Or, to put it another way, if you aren't lucky the first time
> (giving you experience not only with properly-made mayonnaise, but with
> the proper look and texture of the ingredients as they blend) it can
> take three or four attempts before you get it right consistently, so I
> can understand your lack of interest in trying again.

Actually, I was young, insecure and easily discouraged then (and had my
first *real* feast to plan all by myself!) ... I don't give up as easily
now. ;-)  and you've made the results sound so intriguing that I shall have
to try again.  If you have the time sometime, I'd appreciate your recipe
(the one I had used only egg yolks, oil and lemon juice), it sounds like it
would be more worth the effort.  :-)

> I find the little cup with the pinhole in it, that comes with Cuisinarts
> (um, do Cuisinarts still come with a white plastic cup for dripping oil
> into sauces?) makes the process almost completely foolproof. Oh, you
> need the Cuisinart, too, if you're doing it that way ;  ) .

ah!  so *that's* what I did wrong (I was just using a hand blender.)
Gee... sounds like a good excuse for a Cuisinart... hey, honey... I need to
buy a Cuisinart so that I can make mayonaisse! <beg>.

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier