SC - food bashing

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Tue Sep 19 12:55:21 PDT 2000

M'lady Ari said,

>         Me, well, there's nothing I can do that equates to anything that I
>know in the here and now that I could get anything for.

No 'real world' equation is necessary. The wonderful thing about SCA is it
gives you an excuse and a place to 'try on' skills you think you have no
reason to attempt in regular life. Not all knights were ever modern
soldiers.  Some bards don't have wonderful voices, but they have a love of
performing and entertaining and enjoy the research and thought that goes
into being a bard in the current middle ages.  Through much practice, their
voices may be average at best, but they can still be a d*mned good bard.  I
know scribes who could never be modern artists, but they manage well enough,
while many scrolls are stunningly lovely and professional, many more
perfectly adequate, and it's exciting to receive one either way.  I have one
lovely one, and one clumsy one, and I'm equally proud of them. (and I do
know that the clumsy one far exceeds the person's earlier attempts.  She may
never get a lot better at it, but no matter, she does well enough, and
because of her efforts, the Great ATlantian Scroll backlog has been
decreased by a dozen scrols or so.  No small thing.)

So if you don't have a particular skill you are already proud of, and you
don't intend to be a fighter, you can still serve the SCA by being an event
reservationist, organizing servers, running a kitchen (period, we hope, if
you are on this list), organizing events, learning to be a chirurgeion or
mistress of the lists, be a herald, be an officer of your group, or many
other supportive tasks.  Do these things because it's fun to do them and
hang out with friends, and do these things because it's fun to help your
friends have their fun.

Sooner or later, you may get the bird too.  But don't aim for that, because
if you get to feeling you deserve it, you'll get resentful for being passed
over.  That's not fun.

>* (sorry, I don't know if you are male
>or female.)
>
>          *Peers down very well endowed front, and chuckles*  Femals as of
>last check, my Lady.  :)
>
>         Arianne

I know an Ari that is not female, so I edited my post from 'Lord Ari" at the
last minute!

Bonne