SC - Boiled peanuts, was, food bashing

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Sep 19 16:02:40 PDT 2000

Lady Tyrca Ivarsdottir shared with us one of her indulgences:

> And I know some of you will feel a little queezy at the
> following, so hold on tight, or jump over this part of the
> message and go get a cup of tea.  But I have discovered that one
> of my really indulgent breakfasts is this:
>
> First I sweat about 1/4 cup of chopped onion in a small frying
> pan with a touch of oil.  When the onions are soft, and
> translucent, I crack in 2 eggs and scramble them very moistly,
> and just at the finish, add a handful of shredded cheddar
> cheese, so that it melts, and incorporates.
>
> When I serve it, I put along side it some guava paste and a
> little Miracle Whip as a sauce.  (you know, a spoonful at the
> side, so that when I get a bite of eggs, I can get a touch of
> the dressing.) When I was in Brazil, I used banana paste, but I
> haven't been able to find it here in the states (alas, it is my
> favorite!)

Hmmm... now, I would normally not want to put a mayonaiss-y dressing with
eggs, but you show such passion for this combo that I may have to try it.

And the guava paste and banana paste sound intriguing.  I've never heard of
either.  I'll have to see if I can find any here in Atlanta.

And I wonder, if it wouldn't be possible to *make* banana paste?  I would
expect from it's name that it should be relatively simple.  Does anyone
know more about this substance?  (I'll do a web search and some research
later.)

<snip>

> There.  I think I need a scrambled egg right about now.  (ps,
> this is also a comment about the savory/sweet discussion.  Eggs
> and fruit paste or jam.  My mother always spread raspberry jam
> on her grilled cheese or toasted tuna sandwich.  So I grew up
> twisted.)

Actually, the first type of omelet that I ever learned to make was a sweet
fluffy omelet with strawberry jam.  It sounded odd to me at the time, but
it was absolutely *delectable*.  I still enjoy them every once in a while
and haven't had one in a very long time.  May need to make one soon.

I don't think that I would enjoy jam with cheese (I don't like chedder
cheese on apple pie either) and I can't even imagine it on a tuna sandwhich
(although I *do* love my tuna sweet... and can get pretty wierd about tuna,
since I like it sweet *and* salty.)

> -"Honesty is Everything"
and just btw... I *love* your sig...

I remain, in service to Meridies,