Odd and Interesting foods (was Re: SC - food bashing)

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 19 16:26:05 PDT 2000

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> In Indonesia they just boil peanuts in water, without salt or any
> other flavor. I found them bland, dull, and soggy, although they were
> a popular snack. What sorts of things do Southern Americans use for
> "boiling mix"?

I dunno, but there's also a Chinese variant in which the peanuts are
boiled in a strong enough brine that water is drawn out of them, to
produce a perfectly salted peanut in the shell, which, when dried, is
crunchier than roasted peanuts. Sounds a bit weird, I guess, but quite
addictive, and, I assume, lower in fat than roasted ones.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com