SC - Re: Manteca

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Sep 19 23:54:39 PDT 2000

Boiled Peanuts!  Oh dear.  I just remembered that before I left NC, or at
the latest before we left visiting my parents in FL to fly west, I wanted to
go to Winn-Dixie and buy several cans of boiled peanuts. (Home-boiled are
better, but the canned sort have their own special set of memories.)  I
forgot until now, and here I am in CA and I'm sure I can't get any.

Sad me. sigh

>What sorts of things do Southern Americans use for
> > "boiling mix"?

SALT - that's it.

>I dunno, but there's also a Chinese variant in which the peanuts are
>boiled in a strong enough brine that water is drawn out of them, to
>produce a perfectly salted peanut in the shell, which, when dried, is
>crunchier than roasted peanuts. Sounds a bit weird, I guess, but quite
>addictive, and, I assume, lower in fat than roasted ones.

My dear husband found and made a recipe involving star anise and other
spices.  Definately not worth doing again, IMO.  But non-southerner that he
is, he liked them alot better than the kind I'm used to.

Bonne (who is going through a homesick phase.  last evening, I sat out on
the patio and listened to the water sprinklers. If you close your eyes, it
almost sounds/smells like rain.)