Odd and Interesting foods (was Re: SC - food bashing)

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Wed Sep 20 09:15:22 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/19/00 6:17:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lilinah at earthlink.net writes:

<< We had a good discussion of this back when I first learned of the
cooking competition.

Also remember that while bushel basket gourds do resemble the fruit of the
American pumpkin, the basis for calling the New world fruit a pumpkin was not
necessarily based on the appearance of the fruit. It most probably was based
on the appearance of the plant which is similar to several plants of the
gourd family. The 2 I have seen pictured in manuscripts are clearly NOT
bushel basket gourds but are Italian edible gourds and birdhouse gourds
respectively. while bushel basket gourds are a good candidate, I think it
would be a shame to restrict the definition to that particular plant alone
based on similar fruit appearance.

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol
http://members.aol.com/AbhainnCG/