SC - sour cherry butter promise

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 20 09:03:16 PDT 2000

Ras wrote:
>There was use of ice houses in the middle east during the middle ages.
>Possibly Stefan has the posts on ice houses in his Flori-thingy.
>
>I am not saying that dried meat was not used, I am saying that, IMO, it was
>rarely used.
>(snip)
>I am not
>dismissing the idea entirely but rather am of the opinion that unless
>documentation can be found to the contrary, basing an opinion on what 'could'
>have been as opposed to what is known to have been done is very risky and
>should not be a basis for acceptance of the practice let alone proliferation
>of it as an accepted standard of how things actually were.

Then our opinions are not far apart. My point is that it is possible,
therefore worthy of further research. I'm not saying that since it is
possible (as many nonexistent things are :-), therefore it must be
true. That's as bad as saying "well, if they'd had it, they would
have used it".

The point of some of my details, period and not, was as possible
pointers for further research.

First, I think it possible (i didn't say likely) that some city folks
might have made or eaten it in a place without refrigeration (were
these ice houses you mention accessible to everyone for food storage,
or only to a certain limited segment of the population?), but that it
might not have made it into cookbooks (the Indonesian home-made
example), especially if the consumers are people not in the upper
echelons - so worth reading literature with an eye to potential