SC - Pumpkins in Period?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Sep 20 09:47:05 PDT 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Used to that 'Mistress' part yet, Selene? I imagine it is kind of like
> getting used to answering to Mrs. <whatever> right after you get
> married. :-)

It took me a good long while to get used to that too, come to think of it.  Yeah,
you know, Mrs. Jared...

> You may already be aware of them, but here are the files in the
> Florilegium that I think might be of use to you in this:
> Under FEASTS:
> feasts-fish-msg   (11K)  8/21/00    Serving fish at SCA feasts.
> fish-feast-art     (6K)  3/29/00    Details and recipes for a mid-Lent
>                                        "fish feast" by Rudd Rayfield.
>
> Under FOOD:
> fish-msg         (109K)  5/26/00    Medieval fish dishes. Fish in the SCA.
> salmon-msg        (41K)  5/26/00    Period use of Salmon. Recipes.
> seafood-msg       (65K)  9/ 6/00    Medieval non-fish seafood. Recipes.
> stockfish-msg     (81K)  5/26/00    Period preserved fish. Dried, smoked
> and
>                                        salted fish. Recipes.

I knew that the Master of the Flori-thingy would never fail me.  Thanks for the
listings!

Hmmm.  Just how often do you find SCA people [Catholic or otherwise] who acknowlege
period Lenten customs in their SCA menu planning? Fortunately, our Coronation
scheduling misses it completely so major feast planning is not a problem here.
Although I remember one time, Caid was hosting a Board of Directors meeting in early
Spring, smack in the middle of Lent of course.  Why a nice J.A.P. like me was
concerned about Lent, I'll never know, trying to stay authentic for Medieval Europe
I suppose.  What I wound up doing was having a 'saintly' calligrapher write up a
pretty indulgance as a centerpiece, then served the originally scheduled menu.

Selene
selene at earthlink.net