SC - Subject headers, Was - Regretfully

Tara Sersen tsersen at nni.com
Wed Sep 20 14:31:43 PDT 2000

>I think the best solution is not eliminating the noise but being more
>careful about subject lines. Perhaps we need some abbreviation for
>"this thread started on a period topic but has now wandered off to
>casual conversation unrelated to the topic." Perhaps TT for
>"tabletalk," which is the bridge equivalent?

<snip>

I agree with you most of the way, Your Grace.  I think a bunch of abreviations
could get complicated, especially with new-comers.  OOP seems to be an SCA listserv
standard, and OT seems to be a mundane as well as SCA standard.  Piling more
on top of those could result in having to do a lot of explaining to people,
and people forgetting, and people still not changing them when the subject changes.
 But, being more diligent about changing subjects to reflect the content would
be a great boon.

I know I often don't have time to read everything, so I'll download everything,
sort by title and read the first one or two in a thread.  When a thread seems
un-useful to me, I'll highlight and delete everything else by that title.  I
know I've probably missed some good things that way, but there are days when
I leave for work at 6:30, run errands and go to the gym after work and don't
get home 'til after 10.  When this happens several days in a row... I just don't
have time to sort through a hundred messages about whether or not your iced
tea should be sweetened in the hopes that the topic got back around to something
I want.  I'm not the kind who says "don't post it", because I have a fast modem
and it only takes me a minute to delete it ;) but, it would be nice to be able
to decide with more assurance what to delete.

So, note - I changed this subject!  :)

- -Magdalena vander Brugghe

btw, I also automatically delete anything with the word "cuskeynole" in the
title...