SC - pickled melon documentation

Jenn/Yana jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
Wed Sep 20 14:31:07 PDT 2000

A trencher is a round, flat loaf 6 to 8 inches in diameter and about an 1
1/2 inches thick, aged 4 days to let it harden.  In Western Europe it was
commonly leavened bread of the second quality (wastel), while in Eastern
Europe, maslin or rye appear to be more commonly used.

The loaf was squared by trimming the sides, then split in half and placed
with the crust upmost to be used as a plate.

A person might use several trenchers during a large meal.  Trenchers were
not eaten at the table, but were removed as they became soggy and were often
given to beggars at the kitchen door as charity from the lord's table.

Since there were also wooden trenchers and bread trenchers did cost
something, I am of the opinion that bread trenchers were a quiet form of
conspicuous consumption among the nobility and wealthy.

Seems to me there is also quite a bit more on the subject, including source
references, out in the Florilegium.

Bear