SC - parchment source (OT)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Sep 21 00:23:47 PDT 2000

> A trencher is a round, flat loaf 6 to 8 inches in diameter and about an 1
> 1/2 inches thick, aged 4 days to let it harden.  In Western Europe it was
> commonly leavened bread of the second quality (wastel), while in Eastern
> Europe, maslin or rye appear to be more commonly used.
>
> The loaf was squared by trimming the sides, then split in half and placed
> with the crust upmost to be used as a plate.

For those who will be satisfied with a "peri-oid" trencher rather than an
authentic trencher, our household found that making a beer bread trencher
was fast, easy and served us quite well.  during our college days we were
all poor (they were much cheaper than the "wooden" trenchers or plates that
our baronial mentors were using) and none of us could make bread they were
also fast, easy and do-able.  They also made a loaf for about a buck which
could be split into two perfect (albeit round and for our group white
instead of wheat) trenchers and because the bread is a denser bread, they
lasted through an entire feast.   I regret that I forget the recipe, but it
was super simple... something like a cup of flour, a can of beer, a
tablespoon of sugar and a teaspoon of salt for one loaf.  (I'll try and
find it if anyone wants.)  mix, pour into the pan (no need to "knead" or
"proof" the bread) and then pop into the oven!

it occurs to me that you could make these with wheat flour (I buy whole
wheat organic bread flour at my health food store in bulk), add a little
gluten to compensate, put them into an 8x8 square pan instead of the 8 inch
round the recipe calls for and haver very presentable peri-oid trenchers...
In the days when I was active in the SCA, these were perfectly acceptable
for everyday use.  Would they be o.k. to use now-a-days.  (Yes, Your Grace,
I understood your point earlier and I recognize that it would be *better*
to make actual, authentic trenchers, but I'm wondering if these would be
o.k. when they were more practical than *real* trenchers or when the person
is unskilled as a baker (as we were back in those days <s>?))

thanks in advance for your opinions!

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier