SC - Tea - OOP

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Thu Sep 21 02:23:05 PDT 2000

Selene asked when I forwarded an email I got from a parchment maker:
> Aha, not cooking parchment then.  I can only imagine what my friendly neighborhood
> scribes would do to me if they found their precious writing substrate under a
> batch of meringues...
>
> You don't mind if I forward this to the scribes in my kingdom, do you?

No. I haven't forwarded it to anywhere but here because I wasn't sure
where else might be good and I'm not on that many lists anyway. If you
do, I think a mention of my parchment file might also be of interest.
The file is in the SCRIBAL ARTS section of my files as:
parchment-msg     (60K)  8/30/00    Making and buying parchment. substitutes.

I have gotten a reply message from the parchment maker with more details
and contact info. I will try to get both these two messages edited and
added to this file ASAP, perhaps this weekend.

Actually the parchment that the scribes use just happens to be the
best stuff. I had previously known that scrape parchment was used
for such things as glues both in period and now. But Karl Meyer (the
parchment maker) said:"I have supplied furniture makers, calligraphers,
bookbinders, sculptors, printers and various others who do
historical restoration, among others."

But I do think that it is a bit expensive to use instead of parchment
paper in baking. :-)  I wonder if it would even work there.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net