SC - Re: So-Called "Oil from the Spleen"

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Thu Sep 21 18:03:39 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 21 Sep 00,, that Vincent Cuenca wrote:

> The same one as you.  1929, Dionisio Perez, reprint of the 1529.  I've
> just been posting without checking my sources, which is inexcusable.  I
> are edjumacated; I should know better. I apologize.

If you should apologize, then so should I.  I've done the same often
enough (as witness my "manteca/butter" errror of the other day).

> An Electuary of Sour Cherries for Invalids who Have Lost the Desire to Eat
>
> Take as many sour cherries as you wish and put them in a pot on the fire
> and add just enough water, and let them cook in this water until they
> become very tender and appear to be white; and then throw out the water in
> which they have cooked; and then take a coarse sieve of bristles, which
> you can strain them with and rub them with your hands until they have all
> passed through.  Then take for each pound of these sour cherries, prepared
> in this way, half a pound of sugar and mix it in its pot over a low fire;
> stirring constantly with a piece of cane until it is cooked; and then take
> it off and put this electuary in a glazed jar with a good cover; you can
> add some cloves and a little cinnamon to it.

And here is mine:

Take as many sour cherries as you wish and put them in a saucepan upon the
fire and cast them in water by themselves, and let them cook in that water until
they turn very tender and appear white; and then throw out that water of
yours in which they cooked; and then take a sieve of very thin horsehair, in
which you can strain them and rub them so much with your hands that
everything passes through.  Then take for each pound of these cherries
thusly prepared, half a pound of sugar and mix it in your saucepan on a gentle
fire; constantly stirring with a cane until they are cooked; and then put it aside
and put this electuary in a vessel of glazed earthenware, well stoppered; if you
wish you can put some cloves and a little cinnamon in it.

> >  On the other hand, my ankles are not particularly
> >worthy of showing off.  :-)
>
> No doubt your husband would beg to differ!

He says he's not an ankle man.  :-)

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann