SC - Cheese and the FDA

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 21 21:03:38 PDT 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> We also have Perry's warning that actual murri is carcinogenic. Then we have
> a later statement that perhaps it is not....  Neither opinion was backed by
> any information  that would support either view. :-(

No, actually there's at least an indirect foundation. Soy sauce is made,
as we said before, by allowing cooked grains (and beans), formed into
loaves, to grow a mold culture. (Not unlike tempeh.) These loaves of
moldy grain are then steeped in brine, which is the soy sauce. People in
parts of China where soy sauce is made actually eat the brined cakes,
once the soy sauce is drained off. China has the highest rate of stomach
cancer in the world, and epicenters for the highest rates of stomach
cancer in China are those areas where soy sauce is produced, and the
cakes eaten. It's been theorized that the cakes contain carcinogens
(incidentally, _some_ forms of tempeh have been alleged to contain
carcinogens as well). There seems to be no real evidence to suggest that
soy sauce itself is a carcinogen, and murri appears to be in a nearly
identical situation (not necessarily in regard to a map showing
incidence of stomach cancer, but as to manufacture). And as I recall
Perry didn't exactly say that murri was carcinogenic, but said that due
to research concerning soy sauce, he had reason to suspect murri might
similarly contain some unknown level of carcinogenic chemicals. In other
words, not that he knew it was carcinigenic, but that he didn't know it
wasn't, and hoped for a little more research to be done to be sure he
wasn't promoting a dangerous product.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy