SC - tea

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Sep 21 21:44:47 PDT 2000

Ras wrote:
>In a message dated 9/21/00 12:11:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>korrin.daardain at juno.com writes:
>  > http://abcnews.go.com/sections/science/DailyNews/midas_beer000920.html
>
>The sad thing about all this is that the 'immanent scholars' almost never
>publish their recipes. I contacted the site about the availability of
>original or translated recipes and received an answer that they were
>unavailable.

I agree with your frustration. On the other hand, the article says
the meal was prepared by caterers. Having worked with some, i cannot
assume that they were preparing truly authentic food. In addition,
they often keep their recipes "close to the vest", so other caterers
don't steal them, or so they can write a cookbook...

>$150.00? Give me a break. A fool and his money soon part
>especially when those who have the responsibility to teach and pass on
>knowledge still with hold that knowledge after requiring such a ridiculous
>fee to eat possibly 'period' food but are unwilling to part with the research
>that led them to their 'probably' wrong conclusions.

The diners weren't paying for a meal worth $150 dollars and i'm sure
they knew it. These sorts of things raise needed funds for the
museums, which are generally grossly underfunded in the US (yeah,
sure, Mr. Rich and Famous donates his collection or gives money for a
wing to be built with his name on it, but they rarely cover the day
to day expenses of maintaining proper light, heat, temperature, and
humidity for the preservation of the collections, for the security
people and the janitors, and...) I performed with an Balinese music
group at a museum for the opening of an Indonesian textile
exhibition, which had a catered meal. The money dropped to get into
these special events helps pay for museum expenses.

If you want actual ancient recipes, although not Greek, there's
always Bottero's translation of a Mesopotamian cookbook from several
hundred years BCE:
Textes culinaires Mesopotamiens: Mesopotamian Culinary Texts.
Jean Bottéro
Hardcover, 1995. Pp. x + 252 including 9 plates.
Eisenbrauns, Inc., PO Box 275, Winona Lake, IN 46590-0275.
ISBN: 0931464927
$45.00

Anahita al-shazhiyya
i don't have it yet, it's on my wish list...