SC - cheese

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 22 10:24:17 PDT 2000

Lady Celia des L'archier skrev:

>If things have changed so that feast fees being seperate is the norm, then
>that sounds like a good thing as it gives people choice.  Is that the case
>in most kingdoms now?  Is it a kingdom by kingdom thing or an event by
>event thing?

I don't know- I think it's a Kingdom thing. In the Middle Kingdom, all of
the events I've been to either specified a seperate feast fee, or specified
a potluck, whether for feast, or for a dessert revel. Other than Pennsic,
I've only been to three out-of-Kingdom events, one being a Collegium in
Atlantia, with no Feast, but a free day board, one in the East, and one in
Aethelmark, where I went to help cook, and had my fees taken care of by
Adamantius and Ras respectively. I think the one w/Adamantius had a seperate
Feast fee because I wound up helping a guy with a broken down car, with
loaning him garb, and putting him to work helping serve so we could feed
him, but with Ras, the only involvement I had was feeding a diabetic at the
back door, and sitting with her and eating so she didn't feel intrusive. At
Adamantius' feast, I was so busy, that I think I got three pieces of cheese
and a taste of soup- that was the one where he got his Burdened Tyger, and
all Hell was breaking loose all day.

At MK events, the ones I've worked with my group specified everybody pay,
whether helping or not, and we've had to meet the same deadlines as the rest
of the populace in so far as fees. At other events, such as this spring's
Coronation, I don't know what the populace did for lunch, but someone came
into the kitchen and put out a spread for us that almost challenged the
feast we were cooking ;-)
At one of my favorite events, Harvest Days, which goes on from Friday
evening until Sunday noon, There's usually coffee and donuts in the morning,
with a 50 cent donation asked, no lunch that I saw this year, but one year,
15 minutes before I was heading out the door, I got a message over the
'Bridge that lunch had been cancelled, so I grabbed a ham, posted Ras for
ideas for a non-bean soup, stopped at the store for a few things, including
some loaves of bread, and cooked up a soup, with a sign by it, asking for
donations, but also telling folks that if they were hungry and broke, eat
anyway.

The feast fee is seperate for this event, but it's also held at a site where
you can cook up something on a barbecue, which is what I did this year- in
years past, I've gotten a stash of tea and coffee bags, some hot chocolate
packets, and given all comers free hot whatever (had a large stash of that
stuff left over from Pennsic Chirurgeonate, thought it would be nice to
share it, get it used).

I don't know- it kinda depends on where you are, what the site's like, and
what you're doing. For Coronation, I just packed my gas smoker/grill, since
there was some question as to the number of stoves needed and available, and
used it to brown the bones for the stock, cook up the stock, and roast the
Crown Roast- it's versatile, portable, so I'm "Have fire, will travel" ;-)

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous