SC - on-board / off-board

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Sep 23 16:47:28 PDT 2000

Lady Celia des L'archier said:
> The smallest feast I've ever done
> was 7 dishes served in 3 "removes" (as we called them back then) and that
> was for a small, 30 person or so one day figher practice/event.

The substitution of the word "course" for "removes" is in fact a very
recent change and is still far from being universal throughout the
Known World. That it is being used, I would greatly credit to this
particular mail list. There were a few individuals who pushed the use of
the appropriate term, such as Master Cariadoc and a few areas that were
using it, prior to the creation of this mail list. However, the
changeover seemed to really accelerate once it had been discussed
on this list a few times.

I am also seeing different terms used in place of "feastocrat" more
and more. Another abomination we have discussed here before. For this
case, there doesn't seem to be any uniformity in the replacement word,
but IMHO most are much better than "feastocrat".

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net