SC - on-board / off-board

deborah minyard dminmin at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 23 19:48:29 PDT 2000

- --- Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:
> Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:
> >
> > Really?  I thought there were all these posh
> dishes using these 2 food items
> > that the rich had their cooks prepare all the
> time.  Where did you get this
> > information?
> > Phillipa
> > <<
> >  Actually lobster was f ood for the poor or used
> as fertilizer, as were
> >  oysters during the Colonial period right into the
> late Victorian period. >>
>
> Which is one big reason why they're so scarce now
> that they're
> considered luxuries.

Indeed, the Lobster was considered nothing more than a
"common crustacean" until (relatively) fairly
recently.  Delmonico's in New York city is
(disputedly) credited with raising this food item to a
gourmet level with the dish Lobster Newburg (which,
depending upon which source you believe, was either
originall called Lobster Wenburg, or not)

Balthazar of Blackmoor