SC - My redaction of âdhân or Ears

Harold Tackett htackett at tds.net
Mon Sep 25 05:17:14 PDT 2000

At 12:16 AM 9/24/00 -0400, you wrote:
>While splitting the bill for cheese sticks and pitchers I wondered how do
>you listees come to a fair trade when offering goods and services to fellow
>scadians.  Nyckademus

I consider each trade/barter carefully.  First, I have to make sure I
actually have time & funds on my side of the deal.  Second, who am I
bartering with?  Are they reliable?  (I fulfulled my side of the bargain,
am I sure they will fill theirs and what am I willing to do if they don't?)
Is the person a friend? an acquaintance? an adult or child?  What do I want
in return?

Rule of thumb:  I find out what everyone else is charging for the service.
If I'm doing it for a friend, I charge less.  For example:  when deciding
on the cost of garb. I charge $10 per hour for my time (local seamstress'
rate).  If it's easy, say a tunic, no trim, machine hemmed the cost is
rarely over $10 plus materials.  If trim is involved, or if they want
everything sewn by hand, I charge extra. If I supply the materials, I use
the cost plus a fee for my time and travel. If I buy $1 per yard fabric at
the local Walmart, the time & travel fee are small.  If I have to go to OKC
or Tulsa for supplies, I have to charge more, because it's a special trip.
If a large initial outlay is involved say velvet & satin for court garb, I
ask for material dollars up front.  Working with satin & velvet is much
more difficult for me than cotton, it takes longer, so I have to estimate
costs higher.

Exception:  are they offering something besides cash?  Say, housework or
yardwork?  If I had to pay someone for housework, it would cost me between
$7.50 & $10 per hour.  I've been known to sew for someone while they clean.
 I get a clean house and they get new garb.

I charge $20.00 per hour for violin lessons.  Usually children can only
take a half-hour at a time, so I charge $40 per month.  No refunds for
missed lessons (without a REALLY good reason).  I have to build my schedule
around teaching, and have to be available whether a student shows or not. I
used to give lessons for free, just because I like to teach and see new
players started out right, even if lesson money is scarce.  But, free
lessons didn't seem to be taken as seriously as paid lessons.  So, I had to
make the change.

Oops, sorry to get to rambling. I guess my bottom line is I charge on an
individual basis and have several considerations. Leanna