SC - re news flash!!!

Diana L Skaggs upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Mon Sep 25 11:59:16 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/25/00 1:29:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Master A writes:

> Do Not... as in, do not, succumb to the temptation
>  to add too much weight in the early stages (even period authors are very
>  clear on this); unlike your little problem with curds shooting out the
>  holes, what you'll be left with (in addition to the aforementioned
>  shooting) will be dry and unpleasant. I would guess that you'll end up
>  with little wheels, each just shy of eight ounces, and you probably want
>  a minimum ripening period of about ten days for wheels that size. That'd
>  be for a not-really-sharp, creamy cheese like, say, Tomme, or York. In
>  short, slipcote.

Well, seems I jumped the gun and added two more cans this afternoon. We'll
see what happens. The next step will be to dress the cheese and then dry it.
This should take 3-5 days according to the instructions. Once the outer layer
has dried, should I parafin it to let it ripen for the rest of the 10 day
period? I don't recall the slip coate being waxed. I could rub it with salt
or vinegar as Mistress Aoife suggests. Or should I store it in the
refridgerator or in the basement? Any input here is appreciated.

Hauviette