SC - smoker grill as oven

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 25 23:02:22 PDT 2000

At 5:28 PM -0400 9/25/00, Jenne Heise wrote:

>One thing I think about from time to time: there is an assumption in this
>list that every recipe that appeared in the cookery books accurately
>represents a recipe that was cooked multiple times.

I think there is some evidence to support that assumption. Often,
although I am sure not always, the same recipe shows up in multiple
sources--sometimes in both French and English sources. That suggests
that what we are seeing in the cookbooks are widely used recipes, not
ones ideosyncratic to a particular meal.

>There is also an
>assumption that the advice of period diet doctors is an accurate
>representation of period food practice among the majority of the
>population who could afford it.

That seems to me much less plausible. When Platina first gives you a
recipe for something and then tells you not to eat it because it is
bad for you, the implication is pretty clear that people did eat it.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/