SC - Rosewater

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 25 23:43:12 PDT 2000

>  I am talking about a
>smoker grill like is used in the South,  It looks like a barel laid on its
>side with a wood stove on one end & a smoke stack at the other.  I just
>plan
>on not using the smoking wood (usualy hickoy, oak, pecan, apple or
>mesquete)
>but plain real wood charcoal.  The event is only 2 weeks away so I will
>report how it does as an oven or show up at the Carolingian Baronial
>Archery
>Tourney & see for yourself.
>Hej!
>Olaf of Trollhiemsfjord
>East Kingdom

OH, my bit of  luck grill was the vertical kind.

We rented the REALLY big, propane gas fueled pig cookers (that you can tow
behind your car--yes, in the South) for my last feast. They are very hard to
get up to baking temperatures, and you lose every trace of heat when you
open it.  But, since the temps are uneven across the grill--cooler around
the edges, hotter in the middle--you have to open it once or twice to move
things around.

The kitchen had only a standard residential stove, we had planned to do more
cooking, but the one we rented from a company was too filthy and so we used
the one rented from an SCA member to grill the beef ribs, and the other was
usede as giant warming oven, the already cooked food was in giant aluminum
hotel pans and in the pig-cooker for 30 minutes to an hour. We did bake the
mushrooms in pans in the cooker.  They needed very little time and so
getting the cooker hot enough wasn't an issue.

It sounds like the sort you have is somewhat smaller, perhaps you will have
better luck.  Anything you can do to improve the seal around the edge would
probably be useful.

Bonne