Flaming? Was - Re: List administrator-Re: SC - Who you callin' an 'abomination'?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Sep 26 07:50:03 PDT 2000

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> Historically and practically the head cook controls the kitchen and
> co-ordinates its use with the cooks of visiting dignitaries.  Supplies,
> depending on time and place, would be the province of the house steward or
> the butler (who was initially the wine steward as the pantler was the bread
> steward).  You might wish to use the term major-domo, if you find Kitchen
> Steward inappropriate.
>
> Bear

To me, the problem with major-domo is the fact that it implies all
household management functions, rather than corresponding to what we'd
now call an F&B manager. Another possibility would be officier, which is
a French term known to have been used in the 17th century for the person
responsible for overseeing the cooks, servers, hall decoration, etc. You
know -- the party lady. ;  ) Vatel (the feast manager who killed himself
over the stain on his honor when the fish delivery was late) is listed
on the household books (the name of the estate escapes me at present) as officier.

N.B.: I've always thought the East Kingdom's Order of the Burdened Tyger
should be changed to the Order of Vatel.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com