List administrator-Re: SC - Who you callin' an 'abomination'?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 27 04:23:19 PDT 2000

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> What sorts of events have dayboards - breakfasts and lunches? Are
> dayboards a function of weather? location? event type?
>
> Most of ours are outdoors, often camping. The only primarily indoor
> events i can think of are the various Collegia and 12th Night.

Speaking from an Eastern perspective, I'd say it has (or originally had)
a lot to do with event location and type. Dayboards seem primarily to
correspond to lunch, and in a case where there are a lot of morning
activities, and no place to go for lunch, with the nearest McPoopie's 20
miles away, a day board is a good idea from the convenience perspective.

We've also had situations where an evening "feast" is for some reason
impractical, due to site limitations and/or sheer numbers of gentles
arriving at a one-day event. So, for example, a fairly common scenario
is an EKU with 650 people on a site we have to vacate by 6 PM.

I would say a dayboard is also characterized (at least around here) as
being used to feed people with difficult scheduling situations, as with
the aforementioned EKU (regardless of any "lunch hour" built into the
event schedule). As a result, the day board has a tendency to go out
around 11:30 AM, to be actively replenished until around 3 PM, and not
actually removed until perhaps 4 or 4:30 PM.

I think perhaps with the increase we are all experiencing with site
fees, and the general reality that events overall are more expensive to
attend than they used to be, there is an increase in people's
expectations as to what they'll get for their event money. The growing
frequency of the day board is, I think, a part of this, and people seem
to be expecting it more as a matter of course than as a welcome
convenience. There also seems to be a distressingly growing attitude
which assumes that event staff are servants, but that's another topic.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com