SC - Puck's Dayboard....

Philippa Alderton phlip at morganco.net
Wed Sep 27 05:38:03 PDT 2000

Bear said:
> My wife has an allergy to commercial curry powders which can be life
> threatening.  A friend of ours, who knows of the allergy, was doing the
> feast.  Margaret checked with her to determine if there was anything in
the
> feast which might cause her a problem and was assured everything was
fine.
> At the last minute to add a little bite to the cucumber-dill soup, the
cook
> used commercial curry powder and did not mention the fact to my wife.
> Fortunately, Margaret caught on to the curry powder with the first bite
and
> stopped.

Now see, to *me*, the cook was entirely in error.  You say that the friend
knew about the allergy... as long as he was reminded, her allergy should
have been on his allergy list.  So he should have known either not to add
it or to notify her that he had done so.  IMHO, of course.

> My wife took personal responsibility.  The cook knew the ingredients.
But
> the casual, last minute "cook by taste" led to adding an ingredient not
on
> the list.
>
> I cook by taste, but for feasts, once I have the recipe set, I don't step
> outside the ingredients in the recipe.

And just as an fyi... I rarely add ingredients willy-nilly at the last
minute... but there have certainly been times that I've had to adjust due
to necessity.  "that's all I'm sayin' " <s>

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier