SC - OT - "Bob" and the Black Adder - was, Master of the Hall?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 27 10:15:35 PDT 2000

Adamantius <troy at asan.com>
>I'd say, overall, we've all worked
>effectively to develop something of a reputation for high-quality period
>cookery, and to raise the standards and consciousness of a lot of our
>region. And we've done this, BTW, without a formal Cooks' Guild, and
>without the exact same faces in the kitchen every single event.

Recently i learned there is a Cooks Guild in the West. Apparently it
doesn't do much. I contacted the current head who said they are there
as a resource but don't have meetings. Seems to me that Lord Cariadoc
is doing more than they are to further historically authentic food in
the West, with his occasional events at his hose, where participants
"redact" recipes together.

As for "unusual" foods, i'll try almost anything, and more than once.
I don't assume that because i haven't liked it in the past i won't
like it in the future. I can say that there are things i don't like,
such as liver, but will still try them anyway, because a preparation
i've never had before might make it taste ok. Even though i "don't
like liver", i ordered it in Germany - i know my spelling is way off
- - Lebensauer, or something like that, cooked sort of like
Sauerbrauten, although not for as long a time, and it was really
tasty. And in Indonesia i ordered some liver preparations that i also
liked, cooked with many spices in coconut milk. And i like those
silly hors d'oeuvres called "rumaki" that were popular in the 1960s,
i think - a water chestnut and a bit of chicken liver wrapped in a
slice (or half slice) of bacon, skewered and put in the broiler until
the bacon was crisp. But then i love bacon.

I always asked my daughter to taste something and if she didn't like
it she didn't have to eat it. She never liked eggplant. Then one time
in a Middle Eastern restaurant, i pressured her to taste my Baba
Ganouj, and she has now discovered that she does like *some* eggplant
dishes.

And this goes for food at feasts. I'll take at least a spoonful. No
matter what how i normally feel about it, there's always the
possibility of a culinary, gustatory revelation.

Anahita al-shazhiyya