SC - Decaf Chocolate - OOP

lilinah@earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 27 10:31:25 PDT 2000

Olwen the Odd wrote:

> At the risk of sounding like I live under a bushel--
> What is Blackadder II?

This a group of related BBC historical comedy series, starring Rowan
Atkinson, based on the premise that Richard III was a kind man and a
good king, painted as a rotter by his eventual sucessor, Henry Tudor,
a.k.a. Henry VII. Seems he never killed his nephews in the Tower of
London (which he probably didn't anyway), and his nephews grew up to be
big, strong boys.  Seems Richard _won_ the Battle of Bosworth Field,
only to be killed in the aftermath by his sinister but incompetent
grand-nephew, Prince Edmund, all of which places Richard's nephew, who
was not killed in the Tower, on the throne of England in the brief,
glorious, and entirely fictional reign of Richard IV of England. The
rest of the series focusses on the machinations of evil Prince Edmund,
The Black Adder (but originally styled The Black Vegetable) to take the
throne of England over the claim of his virtuous, pinheaded elder
brother, Prince Harry.

There's a second (and to my mind, superior) series, in which the
great-grandson of the original Prince Edmund, Lord Edmund Blackadder, is
an impecunious courtier to Queen Elizabeth I, and in one episode
Blackadder finds himself strangely attracted to his servant, "Bob", who
is secretly a girl in disguise, fleeing the poverty of her childhood
home to seek her fortune in London.

Future series focus on Mr. Edmund Blackadder, butler to Prinnie, a.k.a
The Prince Regent, later to be George IV of England, on Captain Edmund
Blackadder, scheming to avoid the impending order to go Over The Top of
the trenches in France, c. ~1916 C.E., and on excessively kind and
generous banker Ebenezer Blackadder, taken advantage of by one and all,
until being visited by three spirits who teach him the true meaning, and
value, of being an S.O.B.

There was talk of a Cavalier Era series, but I believe it never materialized.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com