SC - liver (was rare foods at feasts-rant)

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 27 12:22:16 PDT 2000

Bonne wrote:
>First of all, Lilinah,  I'll get in touch with the cooks guild lady
>here, they worked out this recipe at their August meeting.  I didn't
>attend, but I heard they liked it.

Which Cooks' Guild?

At a Collegium i attended last year, under great duress, because she
didn't like it, the teacher of a period beverage class made something
like it, but i'm not sure how she worked out the recipe. She wanted
to make modern Mexican chocolate and wanted to leave out most of the
ingredients other than the chocolate, sugar, cinnamon, and cloves.

I still want to know what a "cod" is, and how much a real (that's a
two syllable word) weighs...

>I was disappointed in the spices available at WholeFoods in Costa
>Mesa and Tustin--not what I was used to in the WholeFoods stores
>back in NC.  Should I make a trip into LA for replenishing my
>spices?  I let things run out before moving, and am rapidly using up
>what dribs and drabs remain.

Hmmm, the spices and herbs at the Whole Foods in Berkeley are quite
good, but i've been disappointed with the WF in San Diego/La Jolla.

Must have something to do with whoever is managing the department,
who their suppliers are, and how quickly the stock turns over.
Berkeleyians will eat almost anything and the jars empty out quickly,
but San Diegans, well, in my opinion, and i've never lived there,
only visited my mother, seem so much more into being tan and blond
and don't seem as experimental. Very gross generalizations, of
course. Anyway, the selection is much more limited, much more
disorganized and just not as fresh, 'cuz i think it just sits there,
except for the most conventional herbs and spices.

My brother was trying to get me to move down there (shudder). No
offense to anyone on this list who does live there, but San Diego
just isn't the place for me.

Anahita al-shazhiyya