SC - rare foods at feasts-rant

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 27 13:24:13 PDT 2000

> I think perhaps with the increase we are all experiencing with site
> fees, and the general reality that events overall are more expensive to
> attend than they used to be, there is an increase in people's
> expectations as to what they'll get for their event money. The growing
> frequency of the day board is, I think, a part of this, and people seem
> to be expecting it more as a matter of course than as a welcome
> convenience. There also seems to be a distressingly growing attitude
> which assumes that event staff are servants, but that's another topic.

In the 6-7 years I've been in the SCA, dayboard has been more the rule
than the exception in the events I've gone to, so I tend ot expect it, and
expect it to be good basic dayboard (even if the organizers have to hike
out to the country to buy their supplies at reasonable rates). Especially
events that are day events and which have activities throughout the day,
one hopes to see a dayboard. (In fact, not providing a dayboard will
encourage more people to simply not show up until after lunch.)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"And you, to whom adversity has dealt the final blow
With smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go
Turn to, and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain
And like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again."