SC - liver (was rare foods at feasts-rant)

kathleen.hogan@juno.com kathleen.hogan at juno.com
Wed Sep 27 19:47:57 PDT 2000

One trick to reduce the strong flavor in beef liver (can't always get calves
liver) is to soak it in milk fir 1/2 an hour or so. Also helps the coating
stick, if you're breading or flouring it, although it cooks just fine
without a coating of any sort.

I agree- most people cook it way too much, and it does turn into shoe
leather- and rather icky shoe leather at that. I never order it in
restaurants because of that, and refused to eat it in boarding school, but I
loved it at home.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous