SC - new to list

lilinah@earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 28 11:35:06 PDT 2000

Sicilian is a little difficult to document.  "Pomp and Sustenance" is about
the best book with historical information I can think of on Sicilian fare,
but it does not document the recipes for historical accuracy (a big thing on
this list).

Santich's "Original Mediterranean Cuisine" may have something and provides
infinitely better documentation.

Since the Moors controlled the island from the 9th to the 11th Centuries,
the Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook might provide some similarities.  In any
event, examining the translations of various cookbooks Cariadoc has webbed
at his site is worthwhile.

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Medieval.html

Siciliy also had a number of political connections with Naples between the
13th and 15th Centuries, Sculley's new translation of the Neaopolitan
Cookbook, might be of interest.

And there is always Platina for Italian haute cuisine which was known across
Europe.

You might also go looking in The Florilegium, which is an abbreviated (but
not small) compendium of many discussion lists arranged by subject, although
I don't think he has a Food-Sicily section.

http://www.florilegium.org

Bon Chance

Bear