SC - re: New to the List

Philippa Alderton phlip at morganco.net
Thu Sep 28 12:23:33 PDT 2000

david friedman wrote:

> At 9:44 AM -0400 9/28/00, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
>
> >I'm rather pleased to note that I was around when the terms "feastcrat"
> >and "feastocrat" entered the lexicon of SCAdians in the East Kingdom
> >(previously we had cooks and head cooks, or simply a name in response to
> >the question of "Who's cooking?")
>
> Whereas I am more pleased to note that I was not around when the
> terms entered the lexicon of the East Kingdom, and so can't be blamed
> for it.

No, actually I can name the person (expatriate Meridien, now Mistress
Gabrielle D'Outre Mer) who first used the term in my presence. But she
said something very confusing about having learned the term from a Duke
in a turban... I have no idea who she could have been referring to.

But it's true, the practice began to decline after a specific Royal
Decree reserving the suffix "crat", in SCA-specific usage, for
"autocrat". And then when we on the cooks' list began to talk about them
like dzawgs, it was pretty much all over.

Adamantius, talkin' 'bout feastocrats like aaaaa dzawg, an' talkin'
'bout the clothes they wear
[Referring, of course, to the terminology, not the people. I like dogs.]
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com