SC - Re: New to the list (also historic liver)

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 28 13:19:49 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Nicholas Sasso <NJSasso at msplaw.com>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 8:55 AM
Subject: Re: SC - Adjustments, ethical or otherwise

>   It appears that there are two general viewpoint foci at odds in this
discussion as it has developed:  the needs/rights of the cooks and the
needs/rights of the diners.  This is the gae-old war waging in those who
cook for people and those people who eat what is cooked.

     Just tossing in my 2 shillings worth here.  :)

     I was taught something as a child that I try very hard to continue to
live by...though at times it is *very* hard in a work situation.  <g>  That
is simply this:

     "The customer is always right."

     Now, I will immediately add a caveat to this, and most likely
contradict myself, so feel free to beat me roundly with a dead chicken (NOT
one of Johann's, please!)  <g>

     The cooks have to have some leeway, in as much as they are trying to
remain 'true to period', or to please their monarchs.  If one of the other
diners decides to gripe about not having spaghetti on the table, or pasta in
their chili (examples only, you get my point, I do hope), the cook has every
right to stand his/her ground.

      However, if a diner has presented an allergy, or a religious
preference as far as their personal needs, well in advance, there should be
no problems.  If they wait until the day of the event, however, I personally
don't think that the cooks need to really go out of their way to try and
make something totally different.  In such a case, the diner really should
have advised in advance, or should bring their own food, or plan on eating
out.

       I personally don't ever forsee any problems at feasts, (having never
been to any, however, I can't say for certain)...as my only real food
problem is the fact that I am allergic to lobster (love the stuff though!
*sigh*), and I will end up needing more than a caiurgin (I know I butchered
that, apologies!), I will need an ambulance..as my heart goes into
fibrillation.

       If the feast is planned well enough in advance, and possilbly RSVP'd
to?, the neccessary adjustments can be handled with a minimum of fuss, and
no problems at the feast.

       As I said, my personal opinion only.  I'm still new at this, so if I
offend, I humbly apologize.

            Ari