SC - blech o crat

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Thu Sep 28 20:34:22 PDT 2000

- --- Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:
> Since it is going to freeze tonight in my neck of
> the woods, I want to bring
> in all the basil still left on the plant, mince it
> up and stick it in a
> bottle of olive oil.
>
> After I do this, do I have to keep the oilve oil in
> the frige?  Will the
> basil go bad if it just sits in the oil on the shelf
> in my pantry?

The Basil should keep very well on the shelf, provided
it is completely covered in oil (replenish what you
take out).  If the oil level drops, and leaves become
exposed to the air in the bottle neck, they will begin
to mold and mildew (and who wants THAT in their
coffee??)  However, since you are planning to mince
your basil, it may be easier to keep it covered at all
times (the minced leaves will tend to settle as the
oil level drops.)  I usually have about three bottles
of Basil/Rosemary/Garlic oil going at all times in my
home (and have never had a botulism problem with the
garlic/olive oil...yet)  If you put it in the fridge,
the oil will cloud up and congeal...but it will still
taste yummy.

Balthazar of Blackmoor