SC - Foodie "thingies"

Diana L Skaggs upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Fri Sep 29 05:03:56 PDT 2000

Daniel Phelps wrote:

> As Sicily has recently come up on the list, does anyone know what they
> served for Vespers in period?
>
> Daniel Raoul

The Eucharist? Or are you asking what sort of meal a period Sicilian
would have eaten around sunset? There actually are a few recipes
specifically identified as being for supper dishes (the main meal, call
it what you will, in most cases would have been eaten earlier in the
day, as far as I can tell). I'll have to look through some Italian
sources to see if there's anything more likely to have been eaten in
Southern Italy or Sicily.

I know the Pierpont Morgan Library's MS Buhler 19, translated and
published by Terence Scully as "The Neapolitan Recipe Collection", has a
recipe for a fairly modernish zabaglione, not too different from the
caudles being eaten at the same time in England, also as an evening
snack, and the recipe speaks of cooking this dish, putting it into
dishes and setting it "before the boys". Or some such...

Whether this is a reference to children or, by extension, a bunch of
half-drunk louts is open to debate.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy