SC - Rich and Poor Banquet

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 29 06:49:18 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/29/00 4:05:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time, HG writes:

> More generally, can anyone think
>  of a period soup recipe that is easy and inexpensive to make, and
>  would thus be a suitable replacement for a modern dehydrated chicken
>  soup?

How's about "Kloken honer"

from an Early XIII CEntury Norther European Cookbook (from Cariadoc's
Collection)

recipe 23
Broet of chicken
One should take an entire cheicken and cut it in two and let it cook in a pot
without water on the coals. Then add to the broth chopped herbs of parsley,
mint, pepper and lard and vinegar and salt.

I suspect that it is "and let it cook in a pot WITH water on the coals",
considering there is no medium to cook it in first.

Hauviette

Boil an old chicen