SC - Easy period soups?

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Fri Sep 29 09:31:37 PDT 2000

Daniel Phelps wrote:

> As Sicily has recently come up on the list, does anyone know what they
> served for Vespers in period?

Hmm.

This may be totally whacked, but-

When I was a little girl, our family used to occasionally drive up to my
great uncle's place about an hour away, on Sunday afternoon. Tante
Elizabeth would serve a light supper with several desserts something
around sunset, and the adults called it 'vespa' (phonetic- I don't
believe I've ever seen it written out). Not quite the seven sweets and
seven sours, but close. And there was always a jello salad.

I'm just wondering if this could be related at all, even etymologically?

'Lainie
who has lots of oddball things in family background- dad's family was
Mennonite...