non-member submission - Re: Limonia Re: SC - Tredura [Hashed Leeks] in re substituions

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Sep 29 14:16:23 PDT 2000

At 9:46 AM -0400 9/29/00, ChannonM at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 9/29/00 4:05:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time, HG writes:
>
>>  More generally, can anyone think
>>   of a period soup recipe that is easy and inexpensive to make, and
>>   would thus be a suitable replacement for a modern dehydrated chicken
>>   soup?
>
>How's about "Kloken honer"
>
>from an Early XIII CEntury Norther European Cookbook (from Cariadoc's
>Collection)
>
>recipe 23
>Broet of chicken
>One should take an entire cheicken and cut it in two and let it cook in a pot
>without water on the coals. Then add to the broth chopped herbs of parsley,
>mint, pepper and lard and vinegar and salt.
>
>I suspect that it is "and let it cook in a pot WITH water on the coals",
>considering there is no medium to cook it in first.

What we need isn't a chicken soup recipe, it is a soup recipe as easy
and inexpensive to make as dumping soup powder into boiling water, or
at least close. I don't think yours qualifies, since it is going to
take a fairly long cooking period with people paying attention, and
the chicken has to be kept in a cooler or something until it is
cooked. It's possible that the people doing support for the Calontir
Army would be willing to go to that much trouble, but my guess is not.

On the with/without issue, is it possible that you are using a well
closed pot and the chicken is cooking in its own juices, so to speak?
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/