SC - LOL and a question.

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Sat Sep 9 10:57:28 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/8/00 11:17:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Bronwynmgn
writes:

>  In a message dated 9/8/2000 5:28:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>  nishamartin at yahoo.com writes:
>
>  << I'm five months pregnant (with a few minor
>   comlications), so I'm not quite sure how much extra
>   work I want to take on for right now. It may be better
>   for me to wait til after the baby is born
>   before I offer to do an event. Can someone give me
>   some advice. >>
>
>  Heading up a kitchen can be very hard work unless you can get a really
>  dedicated deputy, so I think you are wise to wait until after the baby is
>  born before offering to do so :-)
>
>  My best suggestion is to offer to assist an experienced head cook in your
>  area, or to act as that person's deputy and have them teach you how to do
it.

>   I am currently doing a similar thing for one of the ladies in our shire.
>
>  just find that it's the kind of thing you need to leqrn through experience
>  ratherthan through written instructions...
>
>  Brangwayna Morgan

Having been pregnant and cooked a feast, I can say that there are challenges.
I was 6 months pregnant with my second child when I cooked a 18 dish feast
based on the Field of the Cloth of Gold( Henry VIII and Francis the 1st).
Anyhoo, I had done quite a bit of prep ahead. Canned what could be canned,
cooked and froze what could be done well and finished the day with a good
crew.

Of course YMMV, but if you are very confident and extremely organized (I had
a schedule of every dish, their prep, cooking method, location, serving dish,
garnish, all in a table form on a sheet of bristol board posted on the walkin
 freezer, I could have gone into labour then and there and the feast would
have been able to go on without me!), are in top health during the pregnancy,
have a great staff and prepare well in advance, then your feast will go well.
I found it harder to deal with a newborn baby then one that could demand to
be breastfed in the middle of the second course and would scream unconsolably
if it's needs were not met.

If you have never cooked a feast before, I would recommend that you shadow
someone who has, then start with a smaller meal like a lunch tavern or
something similar then move on.

Just my 2 cents

Hauviette