SC - Platina Feast

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Sep 9 14:07:40 PDT 2000

Marian Deborah Rosenber has been talking about doing a dinner from
Platina for her class. Several years ago when we were in Myrkfaelin
we did a feast from Platina. The menu was:

Menu		for 80 people
on table:  2 1/2 lb pine nuts (candied), ~2 lb raisins

First course
Fricassee of Lamb	20 recipes
Potage from Meat	6 recipes (3 3/4 gal)
Armored Turnips	10 recipes
Fried Broad Beans	7 1/2 recipes
Rice		2 1/2 gal

Second course
Mirause of Catelonia	8 chickens
Torta of Herbs	10 small tortas
Carrots with Lettuce	5 recipes

Dessert
Golden Morsels	20 recipes
Torta of Red Chickpeas	10 tortas

The "recipes" mentioned above are the quantities in our versions of
the recipes, all of which are in the Miscellany. Food quantity was a
bit much; I have a note that there was a good deal left over of the
final torta. This was about 7 years ago, at which time food costs for
this menu came to about $4.00/head. My memory is that we looked
through Platina for comments on what was best served at the
beginning, what at the end of a meal, and that there were a lot of
such comments. For example, Platina says about pine nuts, "They are
often eaten with raisins and are thought to arouse hidden passions;
and they have the same virtue when candied in sugar. Noble and rich
persons often have this as a first or last course." Which was why we
had raisins and candied pine nuts at the beginning. A lot of the
choice of recipes, however, was just things we already had worked out
and particularly liked.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook