SC - TI article?

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sun Sep 10 07:09:24 PDT 2000

hello from Anne-Marie

I am a self proclaimed stick up your butt authenticity nut. No apologies
from me on this one! :)
HOWEVER

I think the article in TI is perfectly appropriate for the SCA. No where in
the incorporating documents does it say ANYTHING about period food, or
anything else for that matter, other than one is expected to make an
"attempt at pre-17th century costume".

I might WISH that they'd used more period items....ruzzige cake or one of
the savory fladens for the biscuity things, hostess fruit pies instead of
twinkies (they're at least perioide) or even donut holes which are vaguely
cryspe like, etc. And my cardiologist would fall over dead from shock from
all that processed foodstuffs (you're getting a lot more than simple salts
and proteins and carbs in that packaged chicken noodle soup). Not to
mention, I question the wisdom of all that dehydrated food stuffs (dried
fruit, jerky, etc) on nominally dehydrated athletes....

BUT.
The purpose of the article was not to push period food. The purpose was not
to create a medieval dining experience in any way shape or form. The
purpose of the article was to suggest a way to provide sustenance easily
and with limited facilities and effort before hand to a bunch of guys in
hockey plastic and carpet who are banging on each other with duct tape
wrapped sticks.

To that end, I think the article succeed admirably its goal.

Now, maybe I need to write an article on period tourney food......:)

- --Anne-Marie, who has had several TI articles on her hard drive but never
seemed to get them out the door. Hmm. maybe its time? :)