SC - TI article?

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Sun Sep 10 23:14:32 PDT 2000

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> In the same vein, I found the article on Viking cookery curious.  The barley
> bread is more like Sumerian bappir than any Scandinavian bread and the
> author total ignored rye, despite it being the most common grain in far
> Northern Europe at the time.  I'm thinking of making some comments in a
> letter to the editor to see if I can elicit a response from the author.

I noted that as well. I would -- for the same attempt at a reconstructed
"viking plausible" bread -- have used a mix of grains, with rye, wheat
and barley, and either lard or no fat at all. I was also curious about
the amount of honey used. Looking at the documentable viking bread I
know about (based on a Birka grave-find: a small non-leavened -- mostly
- -- barley bread-cake) could be usefull here.

Bear: how would your version of a "viking plausible" bread look?

> Considering the quality of the coffee article from about a year ago, TI
> seems to be doing an abysmal job of "getting it right" in authenticity and
> accuracy of their culinary articles.  What could a new TI editor do to
> improve the quality of their culinary articles to meet our general
> standards?

Good question! If nothing else it holds the hope of being more
productive. Perhaps we could here come up with suggestions for a list of
suggestions/guidelines that the next editor could use to improve the
matter (I agree that the current state is deplorable)?

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
I'm paranoid... I tried to join Paranoids Anonymous.  They wouldn't let
me know where the meetings were.