SC - Adamantius rude?? Never!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 11 04:40:29 PDT 2000

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> You rude?  Heavens No!

I just wanted to make the distinction between saying "What's your
point?", as in, "I really don't give a hang what you're saying," and
"What's your point?", as in, "You appear to be reasoning with a possible
conclusion in mind; what is it?"

> I'm just taking the time to go over recipes that I have collected and I am
> starting to think about them and how they are put together.  Also, I am
> reading _Fast & Feast_  (really interesting)  AND thinking of these recipes
> in terms of what the Jews ate at the time.  (Did they use the recipe, just
> omitting the treif stuff?  Did they toss the recipe entirely??.

Well, okay. My only real exposure to Jewish cookery of the Middle Ages
has been in "A Drizzle of Honey", and that has been very perfunctory, as
I read the review article in the NY Times and not the book itself. It
would seem to me, as an "outsider", that _some_ of the Talmudic
interpretations of Kashrut had yet to be established in a manner that
would be predictable to us today. The recipes I saw examples of in the
book seem to be fairly similar to extant recipes suitable for Chr_stian
use (especially since there was probably some desire to blend in to a
certain extent). My suspicion is that Jews would have eaten pretty
similar foods when contemporary interpretations of the Law allowed it,
and when something was considered treif, it could be adapted within
reason (for example, using goose fat instead of pork fat, something like
that), or simply replaced with a dish that was within the Law.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com