SC - TI Article - Support Kitchen

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Mon Sep 11 13:50:36 PDT 2000

> The object of this lesson is that if the fighters are presented with, say a
> nice pork
> pie, they will eat it and like it. One of the energy foods that I always bring
> and I
> usually run out of is dried apricots. And fighters being the beasts that we
> are, will
> eat anything.

I've found that this is true at feasts. Dayboards, however, are a nother
situation, because you are trying to get fighters to eat during the heat
of the day, during the actual fighting. When the heat is bad, it's hard to
get anyone to eat anything, especially unfamiliar foods or combinations of
foods. Heat can make people queasy. Mucdh though it may pain your period
cook soul to let people get away with food they recognize, such as cold
roast meat, hard boil eggs, bread, fresh produce, pickles, Serving a lot
of food that the fighters can't stomach or shy away from benefits nobody.

Our shire does two reasonably large fighting events, one 300-person theme
evetn and one big war camp--800 people and up, every year.

For the se events, we have fresh fruit including melons (I know that I
can't document europeans eating melon fresh in period, sorry),apples,
grapes and pears (documentable), other soft stone fruits and quartered
oranges (doubtful) fresh vegetables-- carrots and celery, and turnips if
I'm requesting it: turnips and celerey may have been eaten raw--, pickels,
olives, cheese, hard-boiled eggs, and bread. For the big event there are
also modern pretzels, olives, and graham crackers; for the smaller event,
there is a protein of some kind- cold chicken was less sucessful than
breadrolls with sausage, chhese, mushrooms, or onions baked inside.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net

" Oh, Adam was a gardener, and God who made him sees
That half a proper gardener's work is done upon his knees,
So when your work is finished, you can wash your hands and pray
For the Glory of the Garden, that it may not pass away!" -- Kipling