SC - TI Article - Support Kitchen

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 11 16:55:39 PDT 2000

Jadwiga wrote:

> Hm. You know, I had a thought, the sausage, cheese, mushroom etc. filled
> rolls/pies of bread dough may be period, based on a passage in the
> domostroi:
>
> Domostroi: "When the servants bake bread, order them to set some of the
> dough aside, to be stuffed
>      for pies. When they bake wheat bread, have pies made for the family
> from the coarse flour left in the
>      sieve. For meat days stuff them with whichever meat is to hand. For
> fast days use kasha, peas, broth,
>      turnips, mushrooms, cabbage, or whatever God provides...."
>
> The fighting household that made teh bread dough wrapped around filling
> rolls found that they could be made ahead of time, baked, frozen solid,
> and transportported to War (Pennsic) in coolers and they kept quite well.

Good lady:  could you render unto us all the complete book-citation for the
above?  I am not familiar with the wisdom of the Domostroi but I think I can
use this for meat-pye documentation for years to come.  Did the above learned
one have much to say about sausage?  I'm having an evile thought about
documenting hot dogs in buns from this quotation - then ducking and running
very fast.

Selene