SC - TI Article - Support Kitchen

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Sep 12 00:05:06 PDT 2000

Ras said:
> jenne at tulgey.browser.net writes:
> << Ooh! I'd love to see documentation for modern style pretzels and for
>  consumption of raw orange slices out of hand, rather than as part of a
>  larger dish.
>   >>

> So would I.  I never said they were used at lunches (which concept itself is
> not period, BTW)

On what basis? Do you mean they didn't eat a meal in the middle of the
day? Or that the meal wasn't called "lunch"? Or do you mean it wasn't
a light meal eaten on the go? I definitely think I've got evidence of
the later being done in period such as meals that farmers ate in the
fields or quickly went back home for.

> I also don't recall anyone qualifying that the 'pretzels'
> were modern hard pretzels.

But not all modern pretzels are hard pretzels, either.

> I also wrote that orange slices were period. I
> never wrote that they were eaten out of hand.

I seem to remember seeing some raw oranges or orange slices on a
table in a late-period painting and I think it was an eating table,
such as in a tavern rather than a kitchen table. But I guess I'll
have to go look to confirm this.

> Perhaps things wouldn't blow out of proportion if folks wouldn't add words to
> what is actually written or try to read between the lines. :-)

Oh? Like "hard" in the line above?  :-)

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net