SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2588

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 12 13:15:33 PDT 2000

> >Unto the list, Help, I am looking for a good black bread recipe for my
> >Russian/Eastern European feast.  Thank you in advance.

I've had some success in making a dark (not necessarily black) bread by
adding cheap dark beer to the dough in place of water.  Goat's Breath Bock
works well.  I don't know how period it is, but it makes good bread and
avoids using things like coffee as a coloring agent.  Or if you're really
adventurous you could buy roasted barley at a brewers' supply shop and mill
it yourself....

Hmmm, that actually sounds good!

Vicente